Metafiction: Kolakoski

“No Leo, the Kolakoski Sequence has much more than that. You need to see the beauty in the numbers. Aren’t they just beautifully intertwined?”

Professor Garrioll was in love with the Kolakoski Sequence. He would start every class by writing,

“One, two, two, one, one, two, one, two, two, one, two, and … Leo, what’s the next number? I would be very disappointed if you don’t get it. It’s a probability of 50 percent!”

Since then, seven years has passed, and I was sitting on my bed, thinking of my new play, “Addicted to Love.” I got up and put my clothes on. A blue shirt today because I’m feeling blue; a blue jean, too, because I want to look young.

“Yejoo, where’s Conan’s crown? I told you to put it right here!”

I could hear Jonathan shouting. Now, where’s my other shoe? I had both pairs last night. Expecting my half-left sandwich from a few days ago, I opened the fridge, and there my shoe was. Soaked in alcohol, it was sitting proudly inside my fridge. Dang, why is my shoe here? I threw my other shoe and pulled out the slippers from the closet.

“Yejoo! I’m asking you, where in hell did you put the crown?”

I hated it when my staffs shouted at each other. I made me feel like I wasn’t being respected, although I was the director, the person in charge. I was the only person who can shout in the studio. Looking into the mirror and thinking that I have to shave, I soon forgot about it and swung the door open and raced up the stairs.

“I want you to shut up, or you’ll be fired.”
I yelled at Jonathan, and stomped up to the stage.

“To be honest, I'd been planning to write a rather humorous story, but I can't help thinking about the graduation ceremony that took place a few days ago. Thinking about graduation is slightly odd. I didn't know most of the 18th wavers and to me graduation was just a tiring place to be at. Thinking about graduation is just plain boring.”

Yejoo was reading her scenario.

“No, no, no! You’re saying it’s boring, but you’re not actually believing that it’s boring! Show your overwhelming excitement and anticipation for your own graduation.”

“Except for... well, the fact that I'll graduate in 2 years. In 2 years, I'll be an adult. I'll be able to buy cigarettes and alcohol when I get to convenience stores. I'll be able to drive a car. I'm not a big fan of public transportation. I can't say I'll be good at driving, but hopefully, things will work out. Maybe I can go live by myself. What else could I do?”

The Kolakoski Sequence decided its next number by its previous number. The first term of the sequence is one, and that meant there will be only one 1s’ in a row. The next term was two, which then meant there will be two 2s’ in a row, and automatically made the third number a two. The third term, a two, meant there will be two 1s’ in a row, which decided the fourth and fifth term. 1, 2, 2, 1, 1. The Kolakoski Sequence recursively defined its terms.

When I was in college, I never expected that I would be writing plays. Professor Garrioll always said I was talented in filming, and I also liked to film movies. I thought I would be a movie director. But making movies needed a sponsor. I couldn’t find one.

I still dreamed of my future. Writing plays was something fun, but it wasn’t what I really wanted to do. After a few years – after I earn some money – I plan to "graduate" from this job. Then, I will be able to make movies with that money, study more about filming, or meet some famous directors.

“Yejoo, next scene! The … KMLA scene. I want you to act like a real queen. Full of pride, and all excited. I’ll be very disappointed if you don’t get it right.”

“Now, I sound old. I talk like I've already tried alcohol and cigarettes. Well, who am I? I'm Yejoo! I would now rather focus on my survival in KMLA. Some say KMLA jungle, and I'm the queen lion. I also survived from KMLA jungle right before this class. I think I'll receive a word smart test paper written with "hoozah! 100%" It's too obvious because I'm the queen of KMLA here. I might be on the stage to receive the Founder Award on graduation. Maybe a lot of 21st and 22nd wavers will designate me as the best MPT helper.”

“Not enough, you could’ve done better.”

Although I dreamed about movies every night, I was proud of my plays. Streets were filled with different plays written by different people, but my plays were always the best. I wrote many hit plays, and I’m pretty sure this one will be a success, too. I am the Queen in the play industry.

A few months before I graduated college, professor Garrioll passed away. He suffered from atherosclerosis. It was a very hard time for me after professor Garrioll passed away. I couldn’t get a sponsor for my movies, and Garrioll wasn’t there to help me out. Even in his last hour, he murmured, "One, two, two ..."

Still, I managed to find my way. After working part time jobs in studios here and there, I could finally become a director. People started to watch my plays; and after a few more tough years, I became the queen.

“I'll find a king lion, my husband, in the KMLA jungle. I'd prefer somebody playing soccer or anybody who resembles pork cutlet. My graduation party would be the wedding ceremony of the king and me. Everybody would cheer for us and clap for us. I'll kiss him in front of everybody.”

“Good Job, Yejoo. Now go away and rest, get something to eat, and I’ll see you tomorrow. We’re done for today.”

A king Lion.


Although I may be the queen right now, I don’t want to be remembered by my plays (like "Addicted to Love"). I grew up and became a queen, but I’m still looking for my king Lion. It may be filming movies, or it may be something else.

The Kolakoski Sequence has no end. It strives on and on, recursively defining its next term. 

댓글 3개:

  1. Honestly, I had to read this twice to get a sense of what it "might" be about. It's a bit confusing, and lacks some basic ingredients that could make it accessible to your reader. WHO is the main character? Boy or girl? Where are they? Why? Some of this becomes clearer upon a second slower read, but that's asking too much of you reader. It's really confusing as to what the chaingwriting is, and what purpose it serves, even if some of the writing is "interesting." Is this metafiction? I don't think it is, at this point. It's a tossed salad of randomness that lacks basic ingredients of story. I like the idea of the Kolakoski sequence, however, and feel there is something to it that could be strengthened. A lack of polish and some rushed writing also indicates you could have spent more time on this. All in all, like any good essay, this needs a stronger foundation of basic storytelling with explanations of who is who and where is where. The all CAPS font is also hard to read. The best part of this story is the Kolasoski thing, which starts well and ends well. But this turned into a messy juggling act.

    답글삭제
  2. Honestly, I had to read this twice to get a sense of what it "might" be about. It's a bit confusing, and lacks some basic ingredients that could make it accessible to your reader. WHO is the main character? Boy or girl? Where are they? Why? Some of this becomes clearer upon a second slower read, but that's asking too much of you reader. It's really confusing as to what the chaingwriting is, and what purpose it serves, even if some of the writing is "interesting." Is this metafiction? I don't think it is, at this point. It's a tossed salad of randomness that lacks basic ingredients of story. I like the idea of the Kolakoski sequence, however, and feel there is something to it that could be strengthened. A lack of polish and some rushed writing also indicates you could have spent more time on this. All in all, like any good essay, this needs a stronger foundation of basic storytelling with explanations of who is who and where is where. The all CAPS font is also hard to read. The best part of this story is the Kolasoski thing, which starts well and ends well. But this turned into a messy juggling act.

    답글삭제
  3. I think you wrote a high-quality metafiction not just simply putting meaningless paragraphs but crossing them through the whole passage! Also, in the original essay,lion king is Yejoo's new husband, but you wrote the lion king as the goals that 'I' wanted to achieve like filming movies, and that was also good! The relation between Kolakoski sequence and the metafiction was very impressive! I think you chose an appropriate font in your essay, too! :)

    답글삭제